If you’ve been reading this blog for long, you know that I love travel and frequently write about the trips we’ve taken, and the points and miles tricks that got us there. But up until recently, there was one form of travel that I’d never tried: outdoor camping. (Cue scary music.)
Over the past few years, though, the hubby has been chipping away at my preference towards luxury hotel stays, and we finally took our first camping trip together a few weeks ago. The key that finally convinced me? We agreed I could have a $100 budget to buy camping “accessories”, and I also took a stroll through the garage to find a few items to make the trip more comfortable.
These were the top performers:
1. Two strings of battery-operated LED fairy lights – these were amazing. Instead of having to go straight to bed as soon as it got dark, we were able to play cards, read books, and enjoy our glamorous tent with some romantic mood lighting.
2. A rug – This actually came from our garage, as we had an old one lying around. But being able to step onto a nice plush rug instead of the cold, nylon floor of the tent just makes the whole experience more homey.
3. A battery-operated air mattress pump – this cheap little gadget allowed us to bring our trusty air mattress along, so instead of sleeping on the ground, we had a nice cushy full size mattress, made with real sheets and blankets. Cozy.
4. A fancy coffee press – the hubby doesn’t really perform well without his morning coffee. He said this Aeropress was far preferable to instant coffee, and even better than our French press, as you don’t get any grounds in your cuppa Joe.
5. Fancy beer. I think this one’s self explanatory. Just don’t forget a bottle opener.
What camping accessories do you use to “glamp”? Tell me in the comments.